Become An Operation Hood Volunteer!
Operation Hood cannot operate without our wonderful volunteers, and we are always need of more! We offer a variety of volunteer opportunities and try to match each person’s skills with the activities they most enjoy. Volunteers of any age are welcome, but volunteers under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an adult.
Please fill out our online volunteer form if you are interested in helping with any of the following:
- Colony Caregivers provide food and shelter, monitor for newcomers to the colony, monitor the health of the cats or other problems, etc. The caregiver may also participate in humanely trapping the cats and getting them spayed or neutered, vaccinated for rabies and distemper, and ear tipped for identification. They then return the cats to their territory or work to place those cats that are tame into foster care until they can be adopted into a loving and permanent home.
- We desperately need Foster Parents! Foster homes are critical to the mission of Operation Hood. We seek to place cats who are not quickly adopted or who need some extra TLC into loving, responsible foster homes so that they can become ready for adoption. Often, all these cats need is someone to spend a little time with them and to advocate for them at adoption events. Being a foster mom or dad to a litter of kittens or a mama cat with kittens is a wonderful experience, and critical to the little ones’ lives. We also need foster parents to care for our older and special needs cats. Short term fosters are needed as well for cats who have been spayed and or neutered that need a few days of peace and quiet, food, water, and a warm bed to rest to recover. All supplies can be provided to the foster parent to care for the cat(s). If you’re interested, please fill out our online foster application to tell us about yourself and your home.
- Fundraising is crucial for the foundation. We need folks to research new ways to raise funds for the organization and take the initiative to make it happen. No amount of money is too small! Volunteers are needed to assist at fundraising events, such as yard sales, car washes, craft shows, bake sales and adoption events throughout the year. Fundraising is another opportunity for those with limited time to help. No role is to small when it comes to giving of your time and all help is greatly appreciated. All ideas are welcome and we would love to hear from you please fill out a volunteer form and feel free to email suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Adoption Event Volunteers help us place more cats and kittens into permanent homes by assisting with adoption fairs. Duties include transporting cats to/from adoption events, unloading cats and kittens from carriers into cages, keeping cages neat and clean, talking with prospective adopters, and loading everything up at the end of the day.
- We are always in need of experienced grant writers who can help us seek out and capitalize on funding opportunities. With no fundraising staff, we need help securing grants from all sorts of organizations and government agencies. If you can assist (especially if you have grant writing experience), we may be able to secure more funds to rescue more cats.
- We need people to distribute flyers in area retailers, libraries, local employers, etc. to recruit volunteers. All you need is to pick up the flyers from us and hit the streets.
- Marketing and Public Relations volunteers are needed to spread the word about the support Operation Hood provides to cats and our community. Tasks include writing press releases and sending them out; making contact with various sources at the newspapers, magazines, radio stations, etc; scheduling/overseeing events; and writing articles and assisting with outreach to media organizations.